header-photo

Biting/Chew Toys

Biting
Jack does not bite me, my wife, or my 7 month old baby who can't seem to get enough of pulling Jack's face and ears.  The breeder we selected did a great job of introducing the puppies to young kids and to constantly be around their face and discourage biting.  Jack didn't have much of a problem when I got him, but he did bite on occasion.  Whenever Jack would bite, I would just grab the scruff of his neck softly, and gently shake his head and say in a deep, growling voice "No".  Jack learned very quickly that biting was not allowed in this pack.

Chew Toys
I often receive criticism for how I train Jack based on what I feel is an important principle, and what is found in Wildrose Law #4 - Don't condition in a problem that must be trained out later.  I have decided to not give Jack any chew toys.  Chew toys can develop hard mouth meaning once it comes time to retrieve a bumper or a bird, he may just see it as a chew toy and chew it to pieces.  Chew toys are also often used for games like tug of war and meaningless retrieves (fetch).  Retrieves should always have a purpose and beginning at a young age, the dog should learn to be steady before called to a retrieve.  Tug of war also promotes hard mouth; the dog must bite down harder to keep what he thinks is his.  Chasing may also be involved which would be an absolute disaster if your dog decided to play this game with a bird in mouth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment