header-photo

The Creeper

I have mentioned a couple times how calling a dog off sit or place may develop a creeper.  Let's take my dog Hazel as an example.

Before I knew about The Wildrose Way, I felt confident in what I was doing with my dog Hazel, but I didn't realize the bad habits I was developing.  Although Hazel won't be taking part in any hunting, I still incorporate many of the Wildrose laws in hopes of developing a rock solid family member.  One of Hazel's favorite games is hide-and-seek.  I will send her to her kennel (the first time or two she hesitates, then once she realizes the game we are playing, she runs there gladly) and go find a hiding spot.  When I was well hid, I would call out her name or squeak one of her toys I would have with me.  Sometimes she would find me right away and other times it would take her a while, but she would always find me.  We would do this 5 or 6 times and she absolutely loves this.

Is it bad to play games with my dog?  Absolutely not.  I don't exactly mind that she has a creeping habit either.  Every once in a while I will send Hazel to her place or to her kennel, just to test her obedience and keep her on her toes.  There are times I will make her stay for an extended period of time such as when friends are over or if she's been doing things she shouldn't be doing.  After a while, I forget I sent Hazel to her kennel, and before I know it, she is right up in my lap with a toy ready to play fetch.  I swear she has some type of special power or something, because she randomly appears when I never even saw her move!  There are times I will catch her though and she slowly creeps out of her kennel towards me.  First she'll take a step and lie back down.  Then she'll take a few more steps and lie down.  Each time she is doing this, she is testing me to see 1 - if I notice and 2 - if she'll get in trouble.  Although cute to see her creep around, this is something I absolutely do NOT want to see in Jack.  Remember:  never call your dog off sit, stay, or place; always go to where he is and bring him on heel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment